Each year, the VCU Service-Learning Spring Workshop provides experienced service-learning instructors with the opportunity to improve their knowledge and skill in teaching high-quality service-learning courses.
The workshop’s topic changes each year and the format consists of both didactic and interactive sessions. Expert guest speakers and/or panel presentations are incorporated into the agenda, and a ‘toolkit’ of resources is provided to all participants.
2013 Service-Learning Spring Workshop: “Assessing and Evaluating Service-Learning”
Thursday, May 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 835 West Grace Street
Register by Monday, April 22, 2013. Download the registration form. (Word)
This half-day interactive workshop is designed for instructors who are already teaching service-learning classes and who are interested in improving their ability to assess the impacts of these classes on student learning. After participating in the workshop, instructors will be able to:
- Understand the differences between formative and summative assessment
- Describe strategies for assessing student learning outcomes
- Find service-learning assessment resources online
- Examine reflection as both a formative and summative assessment
The 2013 Service-Learning Workshop endeavors to foster an environment where faculty members can:
- Build an understanding of service-learning assessment
- Meet faculty members who integrate a wide variety of assessment strategies into their service-learning classes
- Participate in interdisciplinary discussions
- Apply newly learned skills to their own service-learning classes.
Eligibility and Capacity
The workshop is open and available at no charge to any VCU employee who is teaching or has taught a designated service-learning course. This includes VCU faculty at all ranks, graduate students and administrators.
If space is available, non-VCU employes who have service-learning teaching experience may participate for a nominal fee of $25 (fee includes lunch). The workshop is capped at 40 participants.
This workshop is free for all VCU employees. Non-VCU employees are welcome if spaces are available. A registration fee of $25 that includes lunch is applicable.
Resources from previous Spring Workshops – including research articles, reading materials and relevant websites.